Kiki870

The Caffeinated Diva reads...

Hi, my name is Kim and I am addicted to books. See? I can admit it!!

Magic Slays
Octavia E. Butler
Progress: 96/320 pages

Destroy Me

Destroy Me - Tahereh Mafi

I truly did not want to like Warner, even a little bit, but I can't lie. Destroy Me ruined that for me. I can't help but feel for him now, no matter how much I didn't want to.

He's arrogant, more than a little disturbed, controlling, full of daddy issues, and a whole lot of screwed up. He is also vulnerable and sweet and kind... things he shows to no one. And the more we learn about Warner, the easier it becomes to understand him and the way he is. Yes, he does some reprehensible things and it is often hard to see past those things. But there are things about Warner that just make me want to hug him and love him.

Mafi creates such complex characters and I love that. Juliette hovered on the brink of insanity for too long. In many ways, that time stripped her of a lot of her humanity. Her obsession with numbers and counting was a measure of control in an uncontrollable world for her. To her, Warner was yet another measure of control over her. Adam was everything that was freedom to her. Warner was all of the things that she hated and was terrified of, and yet so much more than that. Adam, too, was more than what he seemed, with a story and issues of his own.

Things to love...

--The rich characters. So complex, so interesting.
--The world. Mafi is amazing at building a world that is equal parts fantastical and disturbingly realistic.

My Recommendation

If you love a fantastically disturbing dystopian story, this is the book (and series) for you! It is so absorbing!

Source: http://thecaffeinateddivareads.multifacetedmama.com/?p=10452